New Player Exerience

Feel free to create a article.
tredough

New Player Exerience

Post#1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:44 am

Character creation was excellent. Really great, tons of options. I was very hopeful for the game after that. The game loaded up and it ran nice and smooth. Another plus. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to put my clothes on. A little tutorial on basic controls would be nice. I then proceeded to ask how to start off with the game and got no answers through chat. I tried to fight a spider and got killed pretty quick. I searched the forums for how to start the game and found the "rags to riches" guide which explained I'd have to wander around for logs and hemp. Fair enough. I wandered around for about two hours and found 1 log and got killed a couple more times. By then I practically wanted to kill myself. Are you guys serious with this? There's literally nothing to do here! Games are supposed to have things to do! You can't expect people to "donate" to your game if you don't give them any taste of what it's like.

You have to give people a sample of what the game is like before you can expect them to start paying. Just give free guns and pickaxes that don't give any experience or something like that. There are a hundred different ways it could be fixed. The most successful games out there convince people that they're very generous, and that makes people want to support them and willing to open their wallets. This has an entirely greedy feel to it right now. It doesn't feel "free to play" at all, because you literally can't do anything except look at the scenery without donating. You have to figure out a way to make the game playable for non-donators in order to make the game viable.

tredough

Re: New Player Exerience

Post#2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Also, the best thing Afterworld had going for it (which it stole and expanded from EU, of course) was the ability to extract and sell skills. Free to play players could play for free with relative ease by selling their skills, which were always in high demand. You'd use the free pickaxe, which was slow and gave no xp, to mine rocks, sell the rocks to get a "real" pickaxe, and from there you could sell the rocks and skills to play for free. It worked just fine.

F2P players may not contribute directly to the game, but they contribute indirectly by creating more demand for things within the economy, ensuring that paying customers get a good bang for their buck, etc. You need to create an atmosphere where everyone feels welcome and invited, and the game is possible to pay for free. You've got to get away from the stingy feeling that suffocated EU. To make the game a success, you've got to let everyone win.

Sorry for ranting. Good luck with the game.

Jump to: