AfterWorld Alpha

A place to share information about other games around. Games will get their own category if they get a lot of different topics. Feel free to advertise your favorite games as player or developer!
Fifth

AfterWorld Alpha

Post#1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Let's have something that has directly inspired Project ION for a change.
Here's a few slideshows compiled from the in-game screenshots.
(For actual videos see: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4C64028F04)

Note: if you run the videos straight from the forum they keep reverting to low res so you might have to switch to Full HD manually. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSwyG9Wv8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6vC6mvxGfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7CgsW-DFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEGy-VyTiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUN7EGQC9lE
Last edited by Fifth on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Piotrek

Re: AfterWorld Alpha

Post#2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 pm

PION has never been and probably will not be inspired by AW :-)

Fifth

Post#3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 am

Piotrek wrote:PION has never been and probably will not be inspired by AW :-)
That's an interesting theory. You may want to discuss this with John Silver Long. ;)

I suppose you'll hear a few things about the crafting system; felons (aka raiders); craftable ammo; craftable mining probes; pickaxes used to pick stones to make gunpowder and shells; weapons ladder that alternates between Russian and US models at the lower levels; EU style microtransactions with ingame currency that can be donated but not withdrawn; miners (aka rudoeds) that attack as a herd when one of them is attacked; looting mobs simply by running over the corpse (as opposed to by clicking on the corpse); almost every music track in the game... should I continue? I can continue you know...

That surely qualifies as "has never been inspired by", right? :lol:
Last edited by Fifth on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Piotrek

Post#4 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:23 am

I did it when the island was occupied by skeletons :ugeek:

the young doc

Post#5 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:31 am

thank you Fifth for his photo
it reminds me of a lot between us :)

Rvalldrgg

Post#6 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

I'm pretty sure I still have all the assets of AfterWorld on my PC somewhere. Wish I knew enough to see about getting a private server up and running or something.

Fifth

Post#7 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am

the young doc wrote:thank you Fifth for his photo
it reminds me of a lot between us :)
You're welcome! Lots of memories in those pictures indeed. There's one with Pio too among them - lying dead, killed by the two mrazoids.. who might have got some external help too. I mean it's in the PvP zone and in the chat it seems we're wondering what was that jackass up to?
Wish I remembered the details... :D
Rvalldrgg wrote:I'm pretty sure I still have all the assets of AfterWorld on my PC somewhere. Wish I knew enough to see about getting a private server up and running or something.
But it's a server-client system, how did you get your hands on the server code? If you have the code, omg that would be priceless!
Piotrek wrote:I did it when the island was occupied by skeletons :ugeek:
By the way, I forgot about the white elephant in the room.
When the 1st version of AW came out in 2006 it was already a full Limited (L) world. So Vik and Bank had came up with the concept before that. EU was still following the classical decay-and-repair-model, shortly after they introduced the 1st (L) items. Where did they pick up that, what you think?
EU already had it's Unlimited (UL) items, they were stuck with these. So they ended up with the mixed system, it was the max they could do at this point.
Kim has later confessed they now consider introducing those ultra eco UL items back then was a mistake. Markets live and die on demand, and nothing kills the demand better than items that never die.
It's funny if you thin about it. The name of the game was Project Entropia, where "Entropia" was just a fancy name for "Decay". The whole economic concept was built on the world that, as a whole, decays constantly so somebody has to pay for it. Everybody except the winners, to be exact.
So Vik and Bank introduced death into that world built on decay. They were expert EU players with a deep knowledge of the game, so no wonder.

Which model did Project ION choose? You can hardly get any more fundamental than this.

Anyway, so on that island with the skeletons, you're saying Silver said AW never had any influence on PION? Must have been a misunderstanding there... If I would have got that answer, my next logical question would have been, Are you high? 8-)

Piotrek

Post#8 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am

The fact that we do not have UL stuff in the game does not mean that the game is based on the same system as in AW. JSL and Eddie did not even play in AW, only Tesla (their good friend). Maybe there is something picked up from AW, but certainly PION never intended to be created based on the AW.
PION created from the beginning was based on the early PE, where the man did not care about anything, and drew pure pleasure from the game, and the fact that we do not have everything almost the same as in the EU, only can testify to the fact that devs are already following the cleared path on this point and do not make the same mistakes that ws in the PE?

Fifth

Post#9 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Piotrek wrote:The fact that we do not have UL stuff in the game does not mean that the game is based on the same system as in AW. JSL and Eddie did not even play in AW, only Tesla (their good friend). Maybe there is something picked up from AW, but certainly PION never intended to be created based on the AW.
Nope. Didn't JSL tell you about his career in AW? If not, he didn't really tell you anything...

I do agree with you when you say PION is aiming at the early PE, the golden ages when greed was not the main driving force for the dev team or the players. Ofc PION is heavily influenced by PE. That goes without saying, obviously. Yes, they managed to avoid many mistakes PE made simply by learning from them. All true, no argument there.
That being said, PE was not the only influence. The other clone of PE, AW has also heavily influenced PION. (See the list of similarities above).

Now, back to Silver and Eddie. I don't have any printscreens about them in AW but I can tell you I have personally killed them in AW many times. Which I'm not proud about btw but it was what it was.
Irken Invaders were at war with their soc, Holland NU. Irkens were the dominant soc in the game at this point and somehow we ended up on opposing sides. The result was rather unfortunate for Holland NU. They managed to piss us off so bad we ended up ganking them on the revivals. I remember there was like 20 of them or even 25 at one point at Saransk West revival trying to get to Saransk and none of them could. They were all noobs thou, except Tesla so... it was one big slaughterhouse, piles of little noob corpses all over the place... After a few weeks of hopeless struggle they just gave up and most of them left the game for good or joined other soces.

In a hindsight this was the only episode in AW that I truly regret. :( We should have teamed up with Holland NU and fight Shadow Corpse instead. Anyway, what's done is done, can't change the past.

What about AW and PION, I noticed you conveniently ignored the 10 examples I listed above and only talk about one of them. Suppose 11 similarities is a bit too much for mere coincidence? ;)

Piotrek

Post#10 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Fifth wrote:Nope. Didn't JSL tell you about his career in AW? If not, he didn't really tell you anything...
I talked to him about it five years ago, so I could forget. Even if he played it, it was definitely after I stopped, anyway I do not remember any society called 'Holland NU'.
If anything was drawn from the idea of AW, it is rather a craft system, which is more developed than the one in the EU, where we put only BP and do what we want. And both games look the same because I think both were made in unity (if I am not wrong?).
Anyway, AW had its charms, but I think that like every game of this type :)

JSmith

Re: Hire 3D/2D Game Developers

Post#11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 am

Develop 3d/2d games with Ommzi. We are a reputed company and expert in unity 3d games development. Ommzi delivers high-quality games to clients with better graphics and other required features.
Hire Ommzi unity 3D developers.

lossehelin

Post#12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 am

I would love if they came bac to the project. funding is much easier nowadays then a few years ago..... i miss that game

Jump to: