UMA sneak peak!

This section is used by the admin and developers to announce news updates, sneak previews and more related to Project Ion development!
Tedjuh
Site Admin

UMA sneak peak!

Post#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:25 am

A lot is happening behind the scenes, there is still worked on the new server as well on the UMA.

The developers from Project Ion have launched a early WIP demo on their work for UMA.
You are able to try out the avatar creation system that has been build so far.

Remember this is not the final product, UMA is a ongoing project just as Project Ion is.
A better videocard will give a better preview.

my first own try with the current demo

Feel free to create a avatar and share it in this topic and use it by example as your avatar picture on this forum.

UMA also released some new eye-candy.  Image 

UMA content integrated

All UMA sneak peak video's by the developers so far:

Last edited by Admin on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Re: UMA sneak peak!

Post#2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:19 pm

A young female try,

JackCaptainBlack

Post#3 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Looking good!  Image

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#4 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 pm

I noticed we can also use the walk animation in the UMA demo.

Still John already confirmed he is changing the animations for the better.

With some luck we will be seeing some more updates in this demo while we eagerly await the new VU.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

UMAnizing a 3dScan :)

Post#5 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm

More toys to get a taste from UMA...
Credits for this demo go to Fernando Ribeiro.

Open this webplayer to try it out yourself.

Uploaded also a small video with a sneak peak from the demo.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#6 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Just a short clip showing the actual state of development for the new unity avatar system. Recorded in the editor by John and (in his defence) controlling the avatar is obviously a bit tricky without first person view... :)

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#7 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Part 2, enjoy!

Feel free to subscribe as this is the official channel from TestBuilt R&D.

jameson

Post#8 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Never miss leg day:D

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#9 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 am

A quick demo of the UMA system with an avatar carrying a rifle and wearing a protective armor harness. The harness is designed for our UMA contest by Razor.

Music: Hitman - Kevin MacLeod

ahh the egg

Post#10 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 am

Admin wrote:A quick demo of the UMA system with an avatar carrying a rifle and wearing a protective armor harness. The harness is designed for our UMA contest by Razor.

Music: Hitman - Kevin MacLeod

Nice!  Image Image Image

shytallknight

Post#11 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 am

is there a timestream for the next update any word when we could expect a new VU at all would be good if some news appeared with all these videos appearing it looks like it will be an absolutely mind blowing update when it appears......

mingo

Post#12 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 am

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#13 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Heya Mingo,

Good to see you back and still toying around with Unity and UMA now also.
Eager to see what you have accomplished by now.

LunaticFringe

Post#14 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey guys, this looks great. I've been working with UMA for a couple of weeks now for my own project, creating a customization process very similar to this. I would sure like to take a peak at the Unity Package you have so far for this, it might help me work the kinks out of mine. UMA is not a very "user friendly" system.

I really admire what you guys are doing with Project Ion. Great job.

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#15 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:47 am

LunaticFringe wrote:Hey guys, this looks great. I've been working with UMA for a couple of weeks now for my own project, creating a customization process very similar to this. I would sure like to take a peak at the Unity Package you have so far for this, it might help me work the kinks out of mine. UMA is not a very "user friendly" system.

I really admire what you guys are doing with Project Ion. Great job.
I will have to ask John about it. The code has been tweaked and improved but I don't think there's a package yet...
We do have some fresh recordings showing the current state of the new VU. It just needs some editing, possibly tomorrow. ;)

Thank you for the kind words. Will get back to you as soon as I have more info.

LunaticFringe

Post#16 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks!

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#17 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Ok, so here's the whole story in short:

After we made the video, a rather big chunk of code had to be rewritten because it wasn't working as supposed to. It's still evolving with every step we take towards a fully functional UMA implementation. This also means that at present we have a lot of working code for legacy animations etc. which wouldn't even make sense as a separate package (ie: not without the code we don't intend to share).

That's why we've decided to focus our available time on the next release of Project Ion and make a tidy package as soon as the new VU is running stable. If you have any specific questions feel free to write them down here or on IRC. We will try to answer them or point you in the right direction.

And we were tinkering happily ever after... :D

LunaticFringe

Post#18 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Hey thanks for the update. In my own project I'm currently able to make adjustments to the character mesh itself but what I am struggling with is the code to access and manipulate the colors. Our project involves creating a party of six characters so right now I can create the six custom characters and we save the recipes off to our SQLite database but I would like to be able to customize the skin tones as well as the color of the clothing.

I understand you are very busy with your own project and am very grateful for your help if you have time. Otherwise, I'm sure I will figure it out at some point.

Thanks again!

Project Ion: Special Edition UMA Preview

Post#19 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Project Ion: Special Edition UMA Preview

Published on Apr 15, 2014 By Test Built

Yes! Thank you all for being so (im)patient while we are working diligently on VU 0.6.0. And a special thanks to ahhtheegg, who was kind enough to slice and dice this into something nice.

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

LunaticFringe wrote:Hey thanks for the update.  In my own project I'm currently able to make adjustments to the character mesh itself but what I am struggling with is the code to access and manipulate the colors.  Our project involves creating a party of six characters so right now I can create the six custom characters and we save the recipes off to our SQLite database but I would like to be able to customize the skin tones as well as the color of the clothing.

I understand you are very busy with your own project and am very grateful for your help if you have time.  Otherwise, I'm sure I will figure it out at some point.

Thanks again!
Hi LunaticFringe,

It's been a little while so we hope you're doing well on your project. It would be nice if you could share more information about it and how it's going so far. In case you're still stuck on this (or anyone else for that matter) here is how we do it:

First take the umadata.umarecipe.SlotDataList['<Index of slot containing Body OverlayData>'].
If it's not null, copy this OverlayData to a temporary overlay-list using the GetOverlayData() method.
Loop through this temporary list to find and adjust all the overlay(s) that need to be changed.
After all changes are applied the umadata.SetDirty() method takes care of the rest.

LunaticFringe

Post#21 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey SnelleEddie,

Thanks for the info. That is a big help!

As for our project: it is a single player RPG with a little old school flair (Might and Magic) mixed with a little modern tactical combat (XCOM Enemy Unknown). You create a party of 6 characters and navigate the world in a first person perspective but once you enter into combat, we go into a third-person, turn-based mode. The setting is in the near future, so it's pretty much a sci-fi RPG. We have a world where humanity has been genetically and technologically modified to the point that most are not even considered human anymore. Your characters have to balance this dilemma in order to succeed - retaining as much of their humanity as possible while being modified enough to survive.

We are tentatively calling the game Schism.

We have only been in development for about 3 months but we have the majority of the game mechanics working. Wrapping up the character creation, inventory system, a few of the combat mechanics, Enemy AI, and then it will mostly be a matter of adding the content. We have no funding at this point so I would like to run a crowdfunding campaign once we have an early Aplha build running.

Anyway, thanks again for the UMA information. I will keep watching your project, I think what you are doing is great!

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:58 am

Good stuff man.

It would be nice if you could let us know when you've got an alpha version up to see the results of your hard work. There might even be some folks who would like to support the crowdfunding campaign. It's been ages since I've played anything like XCOM / Syndicate wars on the good old Commodore 64 & Amiga so it'll definitely bring back some memories... :D

Until then, here's two screenshots from our latest endeavor with the Arkladon Armor for UMA (designed by Razor):

AngelO2

Post#23 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 pm

That's pretty cool, if you make it orange I'm sold...

(LOL)

LunaticFringe

Post#24 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks awesome!

We are making good progress on Schism. I'll let you know when we hit Alpha. That's still a few months down the road it looks like.

Thanks again for your help!

LunaticFringe

Post#25 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:56 am

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you again for helping me get my own UMA character creation system for my game Schism working. Here are a couple of shots of it:

If you want to follow my progress, my blog is at: http://lunaticfringegames.wordpress.com/

And, I don't really have to site up yet, but my website will be ready soon: http://www.lunaticfringegames.com/

Thanks again!

Jump to: