Code Snippets/Ideas/Suggestions

Any Suggestions on present day issuses or development?
Night Rider

Code Snippets/Ideas/Suggestions

Post#1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I've been a game developer for a long time and have amassed a large collection of game related code snippets. I would be willing to donate any code you are interested at no cost, if you are interested. Here are a few examples of code:
houses/apartments
bank
blackjack
bounties
day/night monsters
in game help/news system
developer badges/flags
clan/society code with many other functions included
admin slay
traps
player flags
archery
book of blood (pvp flag)
additional channels
high dice game
seven dice game
ball and cup game
marriage/wedding
quests
users list

This is the short list, I also have many admin commands as the game I developed had a lot of separate code for devs to use inside the game to develop the game. This is really awesome code for a community lead project and allows for higher admins to trust ppl to do work inside the game. I am a firm believer in trying to keep all information inside the game to keep players playing and developers developing and being available to players for questions and such.

The code I'm offering is just that, code, so anything used I'm sure will have to be modified to be used on PIon, but it's all written in C or C++, so shouldn't be that tough. Also, no graphics with any of it, though I would definitely be willing to help out with that as much as I could.

Let me know if you are interested in any of this code, be happy to forward it along.

Kit.

SnelleEddie
Developers

Re: Code Snippets/Ideas/Suggestions

Post#2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:16 pm

It's hard to tell if we can put any of this to good use, though the admin slay does sound inspiring. ;)

Night Rider

Post#3 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

I was thinking that too as I was reviewing my snippets, how exactly would they be used? Basically as a template, as the code probably wouldn't be used as is, would need to be re-written in C#, but it can be used as an outline or general idea to be translated into something more useful for PIon. I have tons of snippets I didn't add to the list as they didn't seem to be fitting, but if you guys have ideas on new code, hit me up and I'll see if I have anything similar you could use as a guideline or whatnot. Any kind of admin commands I could definitely help with as that is the majority of what snippets I have.

Let me explain a bit more, to help you understand.
The code I worked on was basically a C based code base that was all text based medieval game. You used a client (I used zmud, gmud, tintin++ and a few others, basically telnet programs) to connect to a port on a server. Once connected, you could create a new character and log in from there to the game. The game had levels, up to 50 for mortals, and level 60 for developers. Level 51 through 60 basically allowed me to give various commands to 'immortals' as we called ourselves, that allowed developers to either develop areas inside the game, or do other admin stuff, like review logs, keep an eye out for exploits, see extra channels (like player name auth) ect ect.

Here's some examples of some of the commands:
snoop - allowed admins to 'snoop' a player and see what they were seeing/doing.
slay - instantly slay a character which required a player to come back to his or her corpse to retrieve their belongings, or in the case of a cheater, the immortals simply 'ate' the corpse, destroying all the players equipment, etc. In my slay, I had various ways of doing it, one for example was the shovel slay, which would basically cut the player's head off with a shovel lol, was quite fun to play with these.
ban - ban ip addresses in various forms, I.E. 192.168.*.* would ban local connections.
balzhur - this command was based on a demon that would appear and basically completely destroy a player character. Was not used lightly.
afk - command to tag the person as afk
assist - allowed an admin to instantly go to a player that needed help
goto - another way to go somewhere instantly, admin only
this was used in conjuction with a 'bamfin' and a 'bamfout' which was basically a way for admin's to change their messages a player would see as they appeared or left the player.
note boards - bset, bstat, boards, note write, note post, ect ect, basically a bulletin board for admins/players
bug/typo/ideas commands - great way to get feedback in game.

There are tons more, this is a very very short list of what I have.

Now I know the idea of 'commands' isn't really the way to go with graphical games, so all of these code snippets would need a UI created for them. But honestly it's not very hard to do that, it's easier to design a graphical UI then to make a text based one lol.

Anyways, I'm getting long winded here, so gonna cut this off and leave it at that. Hope you guys are interested in some of this and would be happy to talk further about it if you have questions.

I can come up with a hundred ideas of how to keep players happy and playing, like the mini games, maybe some in game monster creating interfaces or something, would take some work, but would totally be worth it.

Peace!
Kit

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#4 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 pm

I know they got already worked in some addition option to have GM's with special rights and special tools. One of the GM rights will be a teleport function.

GM's = Game Moderators

Jump to: