Deep Thoughts --with Treb

What's up? Feel free to talk and share everything about Project Ion, yourself or anything in general that suites this category.
Treb

Deep Thoughts --with Treb

Post#1 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 am

I rarely begin a message with it's ending, but I will make an exception in this post. I have heard the term "MineCraft" on and off for years now in many different circles, and often people use it like a catchphrase. I never actually understood what "M" is until watching a few YouTube videos recently. If anyone has the stamina (or tenacity) to actually read this entire post, perhaps you may understand why I am so intrigued to understand "how" and "why" so many addictive online games have so many similarities but yet can have vastly different flavours. For example.. though purposely "8-bit blocky", I noticed many game features in the Minecraft "intro videos" which are spookily familiar in several other games I have played... I'm trying to figure out where the common thread (engine/source) is, as I believe some are built on Unity/Unity3D, Unreal, Cryo, Java, or "other".

I have played a "real cash economy" MMORPG game (starts with "E") for about 6 years now, and love many features and concepts of the game relating to social community, adventure, strategy, and well.. "gambling" lol. About a month ago I decided to create an account for a free/donation-based, lesser-known, "MORPG" titled "Project ION". From what I understand, it was mostly created and developed by two brothers based on existing open source platforms requiring a LOT of hard work and dedication (I believe the brothers are in Sweden or general Euro region). Well.. as much as I have loved "E" for the last 6 years (also Swedes), I got an email yesterday from "E" notifying that my account has been inactive for over 30 days and they advised I login to prevent any possible inactivity account deletion lol. So, I did, for a few minutes, and then logged into ION ;)

I am an "old school" console game player (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, TG16, Sega, NeoGeo) who could have EASILY had my doctorate by age 20 as "Dr. Treb, Video Game Coneseure and Critic" ;p Around the time of my virtual doctorate graduation, I acquired my first "computer" (Tandy 486sx) and proceeded to earn an additional master's degree in quality inspection from the extensive product testing I performed using my 3.5" floppy disk drive for most any game I could find. A few titles come to mind.. "Leisure Suit Larry, Bard's Tale, Doom, Wolfenstein 3d).

I was soon absolutely enamoured by a top rated game of the year "Myst" (AVAILABLE ON CD-ROM!). It was totally worth the risk of frying my entire mainboard to buy a 486"DX" chip and pimp that baby up from 33-40mhz to 66-80mhz (*M*hz *NOT* *G*hz). (Eventually I did end up frying my mainboard attempting other modifications), so I decided to build my own AMD64 system, (which I both greatly loved and abused). By now most people had heard of this new thing "AOL Online" and the concept of "MMORPG" was born/popularized soon afterwards.

Let's skip ahead a few years.. a new leading online game and small competitor with WOW was called "Ultima Online".. this is where I wet my feet for the first time in true MMORPG fashion. They were a bit wrinkly by the time I left the game 10-years or so later, but I'd made a lot of great friends and memories whether you consider it "virtual" or "reality". Sadly, the "real world" distracted me from the virtual/gaming world for a number of years after UO (other than the 60-day binges I succumbed to every few years dosing on RockBand or GTA) and I rarely played games of any kind until I discovered "E".... and now "I".. and "maybe" later on, "M" ;p

Hey now! Don't be mad at me for my non-refundable time waste policy... I told you in the beginning that the end would be.. well.. at the beginning ;>
ȾƦɆɃ

Piotrek

Re: Deep Thoughts --with Treb

Post#2 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:24 am

A beautiful story, until the tears in my eye turned around.

Treb

Re: Deep Thoughts --with Treb

Post#3 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:27 am

According to many relativity theorists, there is no proven rule that says time must always move forwards.. 'bout the only remaining argument against this is entropy.. (disorder/complexity) increases over time but never decreases.

According to a lot of leading quantum theorists, what we call "time" doesn't even exist ;p

Piotrek wrote:A beautiful story, until the tears in my eye turned around.
ȾƦɆɃ

Jump to: