Linux users... any hope?

Any questions about the forum or game? Feel free to place them here. Read the sticky post for more information about the IRC channel.
Kennon

Linux users... any hope?

Post#1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:01 pm

So.... is there any plan to have a version of Project Ion for linux?

Or is just wishfull thinking on my part? Image
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation.

EpicNubie

Re: Linux users... any hope?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 am

Hey mate,
I recently posted a thread similar to this about using a mac. There is no client for either the mac or linux currently but you might be able to run the program through something called Wineskin. Click this

I'm not sure if this is just for Mac or linux (I found this out for a friend) but you might be able to find another program that will help you out.

Good Luck! 8)

Kennon

Post#3 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks. Haven't tried Wineskin. Instead I just went ahead with the traditional wine for linux.

I'm running Ubuntu, and wine did the trick nicely. Hell, Pion runs even smoother than it did when I was running it under WinXP
(and I'm using the same laptop as before. just different OS)

So yeah, no need for a linux version of Pion. Just use wine. Did the trick for me. Awesomely I might add. Image
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#4 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am

EpicNubie wrote:Hey mate,
I recently posted a thread similar to this about using a mac. There is no client for either the mac or linux currently but you might be able to run the program through something called Wineskin. Click this

I'm not sure if this is just for Mac or linux (I found this out for a friend) but you might be able to find another program that will help you out.

Good Luck! 8)
Kennon wrote:Thanks. Haven't tried Wineskin. Instead I just went ahead with the traditional wine for linux.

I'm running Ubuntu, and wine did the trick nicely. Hell, Pion runs even smoother than it did when I was running it under WinXP
(and I'm using the same laptop as before. just different OS)

So yeah, no need for a linux version of Pion. Just use wine. Did the trick for me. Awesomely I might add. Image
This sounds very promising :) Thanks for sharing both!

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#5 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:27 pm

This is very good to know. We did attempt to run a linux build server a while ago and it had some issues. It's still an option for when we have a fully functional release though we'll focus on the windows standalone for now.

Cheers!

Jump to: