Zombie town

Any idea's to share? Here is the place to write it all down.
psychnosiz

Zombie town

Post#1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

... because zombies are cool. And (financially) popular. And could make up for fun halloween events. Maybe some kind of hommage building (night of the living dead, woodbury kind of town like TWD, ...), maybe even PVP, with fast respawn + high aggro so you'd need a team to get to the buidling (complex) where there's some kind of treasure.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Re: Zombie town

Post#2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 pm

The U.M.A tool could create zombies, or mutated humanoids.
Would be a cool add to see humanoid creatures that we also can fight, for me personal it would not matter if they are zombies left over from genetic experimentation or if it are drone like humanoids created by the robots.

And yeah if they do get just like the robots a hot-spot like we see at the floating spaceships it would make it even more interesting.

psychnosiz

Post#3 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:07 am

Yes hotspots are interesting, they add more of a level or dungeon or sometinglikethat feeling. Which was requested for years in a familiair universe and has certainly been enjoyed since implementation.

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#4 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:37 pm

I've been looking for a zombie/mutant model replacement since we took out the buggy skeleton in a previous VU. The free models that are available either contain too much detail to use in game, or it's in a closed format like .max. It's true that UMA can be used to generate these but it will take a lot of effort to get this working with an acceptable performance/quality ratio using the free version of unity.

*** TECH TALK ***
The processing time required to generate 1 naked UMA model + atlas texture at high quality is ~3 seconds and ~0.75 seconds for a very low quality version. A two step generation process will be needed to get a low quality version on screen a.s.a.p. while generating the high quality version in the background. This means that every character on screen will need ~3.75 seconds to generate. Now imagine running into a big pile of those... ;)
/*** TECH TALK ***

So, if anyone knows where to find a suitable model + texture and animations, we'd be more than happy to include it in a future update. :D

psychnosiz

Post#5 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Just to know what kind of model you're looking for (it has no animations), is this too high or too low quality?
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/522442

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

I love zombies, mutated humans!

Post#6 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 pm

This one also looks cool, and is free. Only not as many background information as on the other model.
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/fre ... del/708761

The other has kinda strange head, better keep his helmet on. Image

psychnosiz

Post#7 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice find. And free :)

Base a heavy spawn around a cabin in woods (pun intended) far from a tp with a small treasure and Drone Neuromancer or Mad Doctor so you have a survivor kind of feel and a semi-rational explanation for walking corpses.

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

The world has became a hostile place for humans!

Post#8 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:17 pm

psychnosiz wrote:Nice find. And free :)

Base a heavy spawn around a cabin in woods (pun intended) far from a tp with a small treasure and Drone Neuromancer or Mad Doctor so you have a survivor kind of feel and a semi-rational explanation for walking corpses.
Story line related creatures like zombies from a scientific experiment gone wrong would be great.

Also half human half robot creations i like to see, another mad creation from the mysterious robot force trying to kill humans.

With the arrival from aliens I ask myself why all these things happen. Why and who is behind this robot force, are the from another planet? Did the aliens created them? Where do the aliens come from and how do they come here?
Why are the creatures we encounter mutated and what about the rumors from more mutated creatures?

Seems the world has become a hostile place... Could we manage to overcome this dangerous times?

psychnosiz

Post#9 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am

The aliens have always been around since they built the ancient egyptians temples (can we have a pyramid ingame?) but they were cleverly disguised as people (sometimes very badly > Nicki Minaj) and microwave ovens untill the moment of their revolution was there. They started to conquer our planet when our nations broke apart and people started to hide in caves during/after wwIII. When the bots ran out of resistance/guinea pigs, they started to experiment on corpses and managed to bring them (partly) back to life but the test subjects appeared unstable and the Walking Dead (pun intended) escaped into the wide world.

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#10 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 pm

I hope this doesn't hurt anyones feelings but the first model is just plain ugly (very low poly) :)
The second zombie is lacking detail info and doesn't really fit our setting anyway.

I think mutants will be more likely to fit in with all the alien abductions going on since the 1960's. Something happened back then which has been kept secret, denied and/or played down by government officials. Hardly anybody cared about an official story anymore. The majority of earths population had been witnessing swarms of glowing orbs and rods cleaving the skies above them. They knew it would be up to themselves to figure out what was going on...

psychnosiz

Post#11 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Not alotta freebie options. How many polygons can we suggest?

SnelleEddie
Developers

Post#12 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 pm

psychnosiz wrote:Not alotta freebie options. How many polygons can we suggest?
An optimal polygon count would be in the 2~3k range. A good texture should be enough but a bump and specular map are a big plus. :)

Qweeg

Post#13 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Okay apologies in advance if this is no good - or a completely dumb idea, but is it worth looking at other game creations sites for this.  I don't mean stealing their models - but for example TheGameCreators make a product called FPS Creator.  As part of that you can buy independent model packs essentially to use in the games you make.

But I can't see anything in the license to say you can't use them elsewhere - you are buying them for your own games, which are allowed to be commercial.

I'm not a modeller so I don't know whether the format they are in could be used or if the quality or polygon count etc. is what you need - but it might be worth a look?

They are not free - but not expensive either.

Here is an example zombie pack:

Zombie pack

Here is an overview of all the packs (some are no good as they are walls and furniture and stuff like that:

Model Packs

I can only find copyright information relating to the games you make - not the packs themselves, but if you can make a commercial game with the models in them then I am thinking you could use them for any game perhaps:

Copyright info

Anyway like I said - maybe this is no use at all, just thought it might be worth a look.

Cheers,
Qweeg

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Great post Qweeg,

Guess the developers will look first how far they come with UMA.
It is a extension on the Unity engine that allows them to let us re-create our avatars again and they could create creatures like zombies with it also.

Something a lot of people will like is to see females can actually create a female avatar. Image

UMA is not planned for the current development cycle but for the one after.

ahh the egg

Post#15 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Tesla Coil wrote:
looks like mix of umbranoid and calamusoid ..i like it :)

Tesla Coil
Proclaimed Ambassador

Post#16 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 pm

There is even more possible with the tool, look these also made with UMA.

As you see the options can be endless for both avatar and creature creation.
Still i hope they keep things kind of realistic and fitting in a awesome storyline.

Will not take long i guess before we see a zombie add to UMA, so far i not found anyone yet working on it. Will keep a eye on it. Maybe the devs or one of the players get inspired and make a couple of neat UMA adds for Project Ion.

Jump to: